Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mini-Excerpt

The tunnels empty into a cave. I run, shards of glittering volcanic rock shivering and shattering around me, lacerating my face and hands. A torch is pressed into my hands, an urgent whispered “go” in my ear, arms enfold me quick and fierce, then release in a swirl of fire-lit blonde hair rushing into shadow. The ground tilts and I stumble, hands pierced by black razor shards as I catch myself. The torch rolls away and I clamor to my feet, grabbing the torch and running I know not where. The torch in my hand feels gritty-slick. I can find no hint of direction, no distant light of escape. Blood stings my eyes and I’m racing blind as deafening cracks warn the ceiling caving in. I trip, the torch flies and all is plunged into rumbling abyss. I pull myself to my feet, search frantically for direction as ceiling shards shatter all around, a cold sliver pierces through my skull and all is brilliant searing frigid light.

No comments:

Post a Comment