Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My writing genre list

Have you ever heard a song and suddenly have a scene in your mind for a story? That happened recently. It was like Pandora was poking me in the shoulder - hey, write this! - and I just couldn't resist. It rechurned within me a story that I hadn't really touched in over a year, even though the heroine often came to mind. It wasn't until this song played that the tumblers in my head fell back into place so I could restart. And instead of just that one scene, it became the impetus for the entire closing of the novel, complete with the climax action. 

Since then, I've started thinking more about mood music, and what I listen to when I need to write scenes. This is usually a tricky subject for me, because, depending on the kind of writing I'm doing, my ambiance ranges from techno to meditation music to Celtic to metal to Steam Powered Giraffe to bare silence.

If I really need to think about what I'm writing, like during dialogue, I need silence. I need to hear the characters in my head so I can capture their cadence. Or I need to focus on something very detailed. No distractions. And I tend to get rather grumpy about it, too. My husband has experienced the snappishness that is me when he interrupts in these silent times.

Note to self: set writing boundaries with husband.

If I'm bashing through an action sequence or just trying to set up the bones of a scene I pick the music according to the action. I rely heavily on Celtic myth in my current project, so I listen to a lot of Celtic music, especially when the mythological characters are the main focus.

Since it's a YA novel, there's a considerable amount of angst, and that requires rock. Linkin Park, Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Dresden Dolls. Sometimes I need snark, too, so I head for Lily Allen. Nothing better for a snit fit than "Fuck you very, very much!"

Also since the novel has quite a bit of fantasy, I like listening to Within Temptation for the modern fantasy element. And the lead's voice is angelic to the point of pain at times. Eisley is also great for this, since their sound is so ethereal. Bjork, too.

I have an element of steampunk in this novel as well. A co-worker recently introduced me to Steam Powered Giraffe, and I have made them my official steampunk scene go-to on Pandora.

Sometimes I just need to write, to get a scene out that isn't a particular mood. That's a good time for techno - trance in particular. Repetitive and driving.

So that's my writing genre list. I'm always up for suggestions, so if you have any bands that you think I simply must hear, do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment